Volunteer Information | Opportunities
If you have questions, please contact:
Ashleigh Horner - Volunteer Services Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or 423.624.5302 ext 248
- You can find a full list of opportunities and current needs HERE.
- Thoroughly read the Volunteer Handbook (bottom of this page).
- Attend Volunteer Orientation. Animal Trainings immediately follow Volunteer Orientation. Expect to be at the shelter for no less than three hours for orientation.
- Attend Dog Socialization Training 101 if you will be handling dogs. This immediately follows Volunteer Orientation.
- Attend Cat Lovers Training 101 if you will be handling cats. This immediately follows Volunteer Orientation.
- Volunteers age 7-15 must be accompanied by an adult at all times through trainings and volunteer duties. Parents of children younger than 7 can find our page on how your child can contribute to our shelter HERE.
- All volunteers must complete Animal Behavior Workshops within 90 days of starting.
- For a charge of $22, you will receive training, an HES t-shirt, and a slip lead.
- We ask that volunteers commit to a minimum of six hours of volunteer work each month.
Orientation - each person attending must submit an application (ages 12+) and must select a Volunteer Orientation
During orientation, we will take a tour of the shelter and cover all available opportunities. You will get hands-on experience with the animals during orientation as well!
Following Volunteer Orientation, we have Dog Socialization Training and Cat Lovers Training where you will get even more hands-on experience with the animals.
The Volunteer Orienation schedule is listed on the application.
Junior and Family Orientation (ages 7-11)
More information can be found HERE about our Family Orientation.
Junior Orientation is on the application as well. You will need to fill out an application for each person who will be attending.
If you have a school, service, or community project due, HES can help!
Please allow up to 48 hours for your confirmation email from Volgistics.
Ready to Volunteer?
Step 1: Thoroughly read the volunteer handbook before moving on to Step 2. On the volunteer application, you will be asked to agree to and follow all policies and procedures at the shelter and/or during off-site events.
Step 2: Fill out an application HERE. Select an orientation for the appropriate ages.
Once the application is complete, just show up for the orienation! You'll receive a reminder via email two days prior to the orientation. We're looking forward to meeting you and seeing you around the shelter!