Are you interested in a challenging and rewarding career working with animals? Available positions are listed below.
The Operations Manager is responsible for maintaining the efficient operation of Animal care activities. This position has supervision over the Kennel Staff. The Operations Manager works closely with the Associate Director as well as other managers. Regularly reviews shelter practices, procedures, and protocols to ensure efficient and economical use of resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage the overall activities of the Animal Care department
- Ensure the appropriate animal care and handling protocols are followed by all staff, and ensure the Humane Society maintains the highest standards of sanitation and care of animals entrusted to the shelter
- Oversee routine maintenance of the shelter, arrange for repair of all items either by internal staff or through coordination with the Maintenance Manager
- Ensure sufficient staff coverage throughout the day across all shifts
- Ensure all shelter personnel are thoroughly trained in customer service, the proper methods of animal handling, prevention of accidents, elimination of hazards, and personal injury
- Resolve payroll issues, approve PTO, vacation, and other requests
- In conjunction with the Medical department, have direct oversight of animal admissions, adoptions, and transfers as well as the use of Isolation areas
- Perform staff reviews, staff recognition, responsible for hiring, termination and/or disciplinary actions
- Resolve conflicts amongst staff on an ongoing basis
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Associate Director
- Directly supervise 2 employees within the department
- Indirectly supervise 8-12 employees within the department
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Interview, hire, and train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and resolve problems
- Bachelor's Degree (BA) from four-year accredited college or university, or one to two years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3-5 years’ experience managing a diverse staff with a wide variety of duties, preferably in Animal Welfare
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products required
- Knowledge of PetPoint database preferred
- Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Possession of a valid Tennessee driver’s license. May drive company vehicle in performance of company business
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs. or more
- Work is completed in an office and within an animal shelter
Please apply with cover letter outlining experience, resume, salary requirements, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Care Associate
The primary function of this position is to provide a clean, safe, humane and comfortable stay for animals in the shelter.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cleans and disinfects assigned dog kennels and cat cages
- Handles various cleaning solvents, chemicals, etc.
- Receives, handles and kennels animals of different species appropriately, these animals may be aggressive, sick or injured
- Visually inspects animals for overall health or behavior problems and reports issues immediately
- Feeds and waters animals
- Bathes and grooms animals when asked to do so
- Periodically spot cleans assigned kennels/cat cages
- Medicates animals according to procedures when instructed
- Provides accurate information in a clear, friendly and concise manner to the public
- Maintains a professional and courteous attitude